Thursday, November 24, 2011

different perspectives

I've signed up Met membership for a while now but have only gone back once.  So last weekend, after my visit to B&H (what an amazing store), I decided to make a trip uptown to revisit a few of my favorite artworks.

Met's lighting condition was quite dim that day.  Maybe it's because I was there late in the afternoon and it's already getting dark outside, so there was not much light coming from the skylight.  Using the highest ISO setting of 1600, a lot of my photos turned out to be super noisy and honestly, somewhat disgusting.  The reason why the photos in this post turned out okay is because the subjects were very close to the display lights.  So this tells me that I need to be smarter in dim lighting situations - maximizing the available light source and not relying on high ISO all the time.

There's a bigger realization - after coming home and reviewing all the photos, I discovered that if there's no clear intent and I just go with innate preferences, I may never really improve.  The photos are not too bad but really, the composition and the style are what I'm used to and have taken something similar before.  The second photo shows a bit of movement with a person walking into the frame.  That's something different and I could've experiment more of that.  I guess the key is to become more aware of the moment and its surroundings, so you can inject interesting elements on the spot.

Just like being an observer at the museum and looking at the artwork through others, I need to develop different perspectives through the viewfinder too.  I know this takes time but it's something I should always think about whenever I pick up the camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment